This is my version of migas, a popular Mexican dish. This dish takes a little practice to get just right, but is so good and so worth it! The crunch of the crispy tortillas is delicious with the scrambled eggs. Beans, avocado, tomato and cheese are my favorite foods and I feel you can never go wrong when you add them all together.
This recipe is for 2 servings.
- 4 large organic eggs
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup black beans
- 1/3 green bell pepper
- 2 small cloves garlic
- 1/2 sliced avocado
- 1/2 tbsp cumin
- 3 corn Tortillas
- pam spray
- 1 tsp olive oil
- shredded cheddar cheese for topping
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- salt & pepper to Taste
- hot sauce (optional)
1. Set oven to broil. While it’s preheating, cut the 3 corn tortillas into squares. Spray Pam spray on a baking sheet and spread tortilla squares onto a single layer. Spray the tops of the tortilla squares with the Pam spray again, and sprinkle salt on top. Broil the tortilla squares for approximately 2 minutes (oven times vary – keep a close eye on these as they will toast fast). Remove tray from oven when squares are a light golden brown.
2. Chop garlic and dice bell pepper.
3. Heat 1 tsp olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium low heat. Add garlic and bell pepper and cook until soft, about 5 – 7 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in medium size bowl crack all 4 eggs. Add milk, cumin, salt & pepper. Whisk ingredients together.
5. Once eggs are thoroughly whisked, add canned tomatoes. When you measure the tomatoes, avoid as much juice as you can as this will make the eggs watery. You want to measure 1/3 cup of mostly tomatoes. Mix well.
6. When garlic and bell pepper are soft, add egg mixture to pan. Keep heat on medium low, and stir eggs often. Cook for approximately 5 minutes until eggs are almost completely cooked.
7. Add beans to pan. Cook another minute.
8. Before eggs are completely done, add toasted tortilla squares (if you add the tortilla squares too early they will become soft and lose their crunch). Cook for another 45 seconds or until eggs are completely finished cooking.
9. Serve eggs and top with cheddar cheese, cilantro, sliced avocado and hot sauce. Add additional salt and pepper to taste.